The Edge

The Student News Site of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School

The Edge

The Edge

Funko Pop! brings unique style to gaming

Funko Fusion set to be released in September

The beloved Funko Pop brand is releasing its newest marketing experiment. It’s crossing from the action figure industry to the game industry. Releasing September 13th, Funko Fusion is a game that combines different popular pop culture characters and the style of Funko Pop.

Funko Inc. is a company that became popular in 2010 for their Funko Pop action figures. Funko Inc. was created in 1998 by Mike Becker, although it became popular for its Funko Pops, the first of which being created in 2005. There are over 15,654 different Pops In existence. They are Vinyl figures of pop culture icons. They stand out because of their big black eyes and oversized heads.

“I like collecting Funko Pops from the shows I like,” said Grace Reed.

Funko Fusion is Funko Inc.’s way of branching from action figures to video games. It is a co-op and single player action game, which primarily takes place in third person view. Although not much is known about the gameplay, besides the trailer, it has many different settings and characters from popular television shows, movies, games, and comics. There will be puzzles and fighting across multiple universes which will all be tied together in the story. All of the characters in the game, non-playable and playable characters, will be created in the Funko Pop form.

“It looks really fun and different from other games,” said Dexter Molander.

Funko Fusion is set to release September 13th, 2024, and will be available on PC, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and Nintendo Switch. The game will be released for 59.99$ on all platforms, besides Playstation 4 where it is 49.99$. The game was made by 10:10 studios. This is the first game from 10:10, but their parent company,Traveller’s Tales Games or TT Games, developed the Lego games, such as Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman, and Lego 2K Drive. Funko Fusion is teen rated, because it includes guns and blood. It is more violent than other games made by TT Games. The game includes many popular franchises, such as JAWS, Hot Fuzz, Back to the Future, and more. All of the settings you go to, and characters you play are made after the franchises

“I like the Invincible Funko Pops in the game,” said Molander.

Funko Fusion is hyped as it doesn’t only bring back nostalgia, but also seems like going to be a very good game. People are excited to play a game that brings back the nostalgia and memories of both Funko Pops and the franchises involved. However even if you don’t have memories of buying Funko Pops, you can still enjoy the game. The game seems to be a fun game that doesn’t hinge on nostalgia, and it isn’t scared to be bloody or violent. 

“It gives me nostalgia of collecting Funko Pops when I was younger,” said Molander.