The Edge

The Student News Site of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School

The Edge

The Edge

Ways to stay safe from the dreaded Summer Slide

It’s important to take a break, but don’t lose all your progress

Have you ever learned something, had fun in the summer, then came back to school and completely forgot what you learned? This is called summer slide and it happens to 84% of students during the big break. But there are things you can do to prevent it. 

A great way to reduce the loss of information is reading over the summer. All of the local libraries offer a free reading program that has fun activities to go along with it. You can also read books you find in your home that are a little bit challenging. Reading over the summer can expand your imagination, help you gain more knowledge, help improve your memory, and improve your focus. At the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, a study proved that children who don’t read over the summer lose two months of their reading development from the school year. Summer slide doesn’t only affect reading, however. 

Your math skills are also commonly forgotten during summer. During the summer you lose about 27% of the math skills you learned which is around three months of learning. But there are also very easy ways to prevent summer slide. Play math games or puzzles. Try to solve two to three 2-3 math problems every day. Practice math by watching sports. Keep track of your favorite team’s statistics by counting how many points or goals they score, and if they have any strikes or cards. You can even do math while listening to music if you look for patterns that follow a mathematical structure in the song. 

“Some students do need support over the summer,” says careers and science teacher, Katie Schneider. “Other students really just need a brain break”. 

In the summer you can forget editing and planning skills that would help you to write a good story. You could even forget to revise or proofread. A study conducted in 1996, The Effects of Summer Vacation on Achievement Test Scores, showed that not studying in the summer led to a 36% decrease in reading and writing for seventh grade students. The study also showed that teachers spend the first several weeks reteaching students what they learned last year. You can keep your writing skills up just by reading, as reading introduces you to new writing styles and can help you absorb the proper grammar and punctuation. 

“Extra reading is good to keep your vocabulary and brain working, but fun learning games are also good,” says Schneider.

ST. PETERSBURG, FL – SEPTEMBER 26: Home plate umpire Greg Gibson #53 calles Andrew Velazquez #11 of the Tampa Bay Rays safe ahead of a tag from Gary Sanchez #24 of the New York Yankees in the eighth inning of a baseball game at Tropicana Field on September 26, 2018 in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Mike Carlson/Getty Images) (Getty Images)

To prevent summer slide you may think you have to spend hours going over old notes or writing a whole essay. But preventing it can take as little as 15 minutes to do a few math problems or reading a chapter of a book each day. Taking 20 minutes everyday takes little time and energy and can have a big impact on understanding a topic, writing and reading skills, and ability to solve problems.    

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Edge

Your donation will support the student journalists of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.