The Edge

The Student News Site of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School

The Edge

The Edge

Summer is a great time to get your read on

Log your books for the 20-book challenge

Mrs.Worcester just released the 20 book challenge log for 2024-2025. The 20 book challenge is a fun competition to read 20 books that fit into the categories listed by March 1, 2025. If you do so, you have an opportunity to go on a field trip to Andretti Thrill Park. The challenge started April 1st, so you can log any books that you have read since then, and you can even read books over the summer. There are a lot of categories, and if you don’t have any books to read, then I have some recommendations.

The Inheritance Games series

The Inheritance Games is a series by Jennfier Lynn Barnes, and it consists of four books, with two more coming this year. 

Teenager Avery Grambs was mentioned in Tobias Hawthorne’s will. Overnight, she went from living in her car to inheriting 46.2 billion dollars. But, to inherit the money, she must live in Hawthorne House for a whole year. While living at the house, the four two of four Hawthorne brothers help Avery figure out why she was mentioned in Tobias’ will.

In The Hawthorne Legacy, Avery is trying to find Tobias’s supposably dead son, Toby. Along with finding Toby, Grayson Hawthorne, the second oldest Hawthorne brother, finds out who his father is.

In The Final Gambit, Toby’s daughter, Eve, visits Hawthorne House.  Avery is almost turning 18, and her year at Hawthorne House is almost over. 

The fourth book, The Brother’s Hawthorne,  is from the point of view of Grayson and Jameson Hawthorne, the middle Hawthorne brothers. From Jameson’s point of view, he infiltrates an exclusive club and tries to win back a family estate. From Grayson’s point of view, he is trying to keep his half-sisters safe from the truth about their father. 

“I really enjoyed this book series,” says seventh grader Maya Paes. “I loved how the author added twists and turns, and how descriptive she was.”

The Naturals series

The Naturals is another series by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. This series consists of four books as well. 

Cassie Hobbes is a teenaer who has a natural talent and is able to profile people. She gets recruited by the FBI to join a program called The Naturals, which is a group of teenagers who have special talents. The FBI uses those teens to solve unsolved murder cases. 

Sky’s End 

Sky’s End is a new book that came out January 2nd. This book is by Marc J Gregson.

Conrad is stuck as a low, and refuses to become his murderous uncle’s heir. To get his sister back from his uncle, he must join the selection and become a hunter. When he does become a hunter, he must rise and become captain and kill as many gorgantauns possible and win the gauntlet to get back his sister. 

Undertow

Undertow is the first book in a series by Michael Buckly. 

Sixteen-year-old Lyric Walker’s life is forever changed when she witnesses the arrival of 30,000 Alpha, a five-nation race of ocean-dwelling warriors, on her beach in coney island. The world’s initial wonder and awe over the Alpha quickly turns ugly and violent, and Lyric’s small town transforms into a military zone with humans on one side and Alpha on the other.