The Edge

The Student News Site of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School

The Edge

The Edge

‘Greetings from Edgewood’ revealed as 2024 Yearbook theme

Students clamor for extra copies

Thanks for the memories!

The highly-anticipated 2024 Memoria yearbook was distributed Thursday, May 2nd, revealing the theme “Greetings from Edgewood.” Over 520 students had preordered the book and had their first opportunity to see the closely-guarded cover. The book represents a year’s worth of hard work by the yearbook staff and holds special memories of the 2023-2024 school year. 

The yearbook was once again a complete sell-out, with over 50 students signing up on a wait list in the hopes of being able to purchase one of the extra copies.

Theme

Part of what makes the yearbook so hard to create is coming up with the theme. The theme is how the yearbook starts. It is the most important part, because everything else is dependent on the theme

The theme for this year’s yearbook is Greetings from Edgewood. They backed up this theme with postcards. You even get a postcard from Edgewood with your yearbook.The idea of postcards came from the senior wall which is supposed to represent a postcard.

“…it’s like sending a postcard from high school so that you can remember that one day,” said Josephine Mendola, who is a senior in the yearbook staff.

In the End

Many different people have said to me that the best part of a yearbook is when you finally get to see the end result of the yearbook.

“When we all got to see the books for the first time and we realized our hard work really paid off. We flipped through the books and got a feeling like we did this as a team and really made it happen,” said Colleen Gaydar who is a junior in the yearbook staff.

Evolution of the Yearbook

The very first year book was created at Yale in 1806, but our yearbook is totally different from that one. Back then they didn’t have a way to put pictures in the book, so they printed silhouettes of the students, which were made by hand. Now we take pictures with a camera for the yearbook.

For many years it was either impossible or too expensive to print color in a  yearbook, so everything was black and white. Also now that we have computers and many different design apps and templates it makes it easier to design the pages to look great.

“I could not imagine doing a yearbook without technology,” said Mendola.

Importance of a yearbook 

Even though after the adrenaline of getting your yearbook and getting it signed and such, it gets old. Then it just sits on a self collecting dusk. But one day you are going to go through that shelf and enjoy the memories of that year.

In the meantime enjoy the delight of the end of the year and getting your yearbook because that is a great part about being in school.

A moment lasts about a second but memories can last forever. To always remember things, you need your brain to be reminded of that memory. In this case yearbooks help you to remember the year forever if you choose too.

“We are called memoria which is like the idea of memories and it is a really good reflection on what the yearbook is and how we can put the entire school year into 200 something pages and go back and relive that experience of what those years were,” said Gaydar.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Edge

Your donation will support the student journalists of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.