The Edge

The Student News Site of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School

The Edge

The Edge

See the old and the new at these Florida air shows

From Ft. Lauderdale to Pensacola, iconic and cutting-edge aircraft will roar through the skies

Amidst the backdrop of Florida’s sun-drenched skies, aviation enthusiasts and thrill-seekers alike are gearing up for a whirlwind season of airshows in the state.

On May 11th and 12th, the Fort Lauderdale Air Dot Show will be heard miles away. The event will be held at 3110 E Sunrise Blvd Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304. The gates for the show open at 9 AM. The roaring of the jets will start around noon and end at 2:45 PM. The cheapest price for an adult is $37.50 while children are $26. It is recommended to bring chairs as they are not provided.

The United States Air Forces Thunderbirds will be the highlight of this airshow. The iconic BRRRRRT from the A-10 Warthog Demo Team will be heard on Saturday and Sunday. The Ghost Squadron will be performing at this event. The Navy F-18 Rhino Demo Team will be charging their way into the show. Other demonstrations and fly-bys include SOCOM Para-Commandos, US Coast Guard Search and Rescue Demo, Kevin Coleman, Navy Legacy Flight, KC-135 Stratotanker, T-38 Talon, Red Bull Air Force, and the Red Bull helicopter flown by Aaron Fitzgerald.

The Hyundai Air and Sea Show will occur on May 25 and 26 from 12:00 AM – 6:30 PM. The show will happen in South Miami Beach. When you spectate this show, the recommended place is at Lummus Park on 11th-14th Street Ocean Drive. There is no admission for the show. 

This airshow is a spectacle to witness with all sorts of fun and engaging demonstrations, fly-bys, and exercises. The U.S. ARMY Golden Knights Parachute Team, U.S. ARMY Black Daggers, U.S. NAVY Leap Frogs, and British Army Red Devils Parachute Regiment will exhibit their parachuting skills. The USCG will do an Air and Sea Rescue Demo. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection will have a Drug Interdiction Demo. There will also be demonstrations by USAF 920th Combat Search & Rescue and the U.S. Army Special Operations.

The airshow will include several fly-bys and demonstrations by planes. The show will feature the F-35 Lightning ll, F-15 Eagle,  F-16 Fighting Falcon, and the A-10 Warthog. The larger aircraft which will perform are the C-17 Global Master III, C-130J Hercules, KC-135 Stratotanker, and the USAF C-5 Galaxy. Some older planes and flights will be the T-6’s, US NAVY Legacy Flight, and USAF Heritage Flight. The bomber planes which will perform are the B-52 Bomber, B-1 Bomber, and the B-2 Bomber.

The Red White & Blues Pensacola Beach Air Show will be kicking off in July. The airshow will take place at 20 Casino Beach Blvd Pensacola Beach, Florida 32561. The price for the event is free. The event will begin on July 10th and end on the 13th. On July 10th the Breakfast with Blue Angels will happen around 7:30 AM. At this time the Blue Angels fly overhead to mark coordinates and center points along the beach for the airshow. On July 11th the Blue Angels will have a practice show around 2:00 PM. On July 12th Flight demonstration and civilian aerobatics will happen at noon. The Blue Angels will fly at 2:00 PM. On July 13th the official show will take place, following the schedule on Friday. 

The airshow will feature talented aerobatic pilots. Names like Kevin Coleman, Patty Wagstaff, and Aaron Fitzgerald will perform at the show. The main headline of the event will be the Blue Angels. The show will also include Redline Aviation, Julian MacQueen, Carol Pilon Third Strike Wingwalking, and Skip Stewart. The airshow will also include a Veterans Flight.