The Edge

The Student News Site of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School

The Edge

The Edge

COMING SOON: Wawa to open a Merritt Island location

The king of convenience stores will be right around the corner

Like how Chick-fil-A is the king of fast foods, Wawa is the king of gas stations, and soon Wawa is coming to Merritt Island.

Native Americans in Philadelphia speak the language Ojibwe.The word we’we (pronounced way-way) is how the word Wawa originated. The word we’we means goose, that is where the goose in the Wawa logo came from.

The language Ojibwe was spoken by Native Americans in Pennsylvania and the first Wawa location was a dairy in Pennsylvania.

George Wood (founder of Wawa) noticed that his local supermarket did not have very fresh meat and dairy products. When he got to the age to start a business, he moved to Pennsylvania and started Wawa Dairy. Employees would deliver Wawa’s milk to the porch of many houses for many people to enjoy.

Sixty-four years after Wawa dairy opened, it expanded to not just dairy but a supermarket. They had many fresh foods but then later they started sandwiches and hot breakfast that you can order.

In 1994 Wawa added gasoline pumps for cars. Wawa barely gets any money from the gas, but it will make people come by to get gas then decide to go inside and see what Wawa is all about. Even though the gas doesn’t make any money, it helps Wawa to get more customers which leads to more money.

“It is convenient because while you are filling up your gas tank you can go get pizza,” said seventh grader Nolan Elston.

So why is Wawa so special? One of the reasons why Wawa is a special gas station is because it has food to order, not just gas stations food like slushies, chips, and candy. At Wawa you can order a variety of different foods. Some of the most known are their hot breakfast foods and their subs. Yes, this food will be more expensive than at other gas stations, but it has better quality and overall just tastes better to most people.

When you are ordering food from Wawa, there is always the option to order in person but they also have touch screen devices to order that way you can browse the menu and then order electronically. This is one of the cool items that other gas stations cannot relate with.

“They are convenient, I like how they keep lines short, and you can do it yourself so that you are in and out very quickly,” said seventh grader Samantha Brown.

Another great part of Wawa is the bathrooms. Wawa is said to have one of the cleanest bathrooms out of all gas stations. Not just the bathrooms are praised for their cleanliness, but the supermarket part is very organized. 

The best part of all of this is that we are getting a Wawa on Merritt Island soon. There is not a date of when it is going to open, but it is being built right now at the site of the old Erdman Cadillac dealer off Plumosa Street, close to the Merritt Island Mall.

“I am excited for the new Wawa because I like their pizza,” said seventh grader Nolan Elston.

Wawa is more than “just a gas station.” It is cleaner and has better food, so be sure to stop by this summer to see what it is all about, because Wawa is the way to go.