The Edge

The Student News Site of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School

The Edge

The Edge

Herbert’s Dune is back on the big screen

*SPOILER ALERT* Details from Dune Parts 1 & 2 ahead!

He who controls the spice controls the universe”. In this adventure sci-fi adaptation of the Dune book series written by Frank Herbert in 1965, we follow Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet), as he fights for more power. 

Background information:

In Herbert’s novel we see the struggle for power. How does one grasp power? Controlling spice of course. Spice is a mineral which makes interstellar space travel possible. Everyone wants control over the spice, which is only found on one planet – Arrakis. The primary threat to the control of the spice are houses, or families. The houses in these two movies are a part of the Empire of Padishah.

Dune: Part One Movie Summary:

In Dune: Part One, a brutal group known as House Harkonnen is expelled from Arrakis. House Atreides accepts the stewardship of this planet (and control of the spice). Duke Leto Atreides  and his family are relocated from an oceanic planet called Caladan to Arrakis. Leto’s son Paul Atreides is “gifted,”  and he experiences indecipherable dark visions of the future. House Harkonnen plans to seize control of Arrakis after their expulsion. House Harkonnen seizes control of Arrakis, slaughtering anyone in their paths. The Duke of House Atreides is assassinated leaving Paul as the Duke of House Atreides. Paul Atredies and his mother, Lady Jessica, who is a member of a mystical sisterhood known as the Bene Gesserit Order, are kidnapped by House Harkonnen but they escape. Paul finds his way to a group of natives called Fremen. Some of the Fremen believe Paul is the prophesied messiah. 

Dune: Part Two Movie Summary:

After the events in the first movie Paul and his mother are still on the run from the Harkonnens. They are seeking refuge with the Fremen. Paul is conflicted with the death of his father and is seeking revenge. Paul is referred to as the “Messiah” by a lot of Fremen. Paul’s mother consumes the “Water of Life” which is the bile of a baby sand worm. It is a poison given during ritualistic practice to determine the next patriarchal figure for the Fremen people. It transfers the information from the original reverend mother to the next. The complications arise when it is revealed Paul’s mother was pregnant and the information given to her was also given to her baby. Now considered the reverend mother,  Jessica convinces Paul to take the poison as well, which would kill any normal male. Paul survives the poison and new, startling, information is given to him. He becomes blinded with revenge and hate for House Harkonnen. He unites the Fremen under his name because the Fremen believe he is their Messiah. He slaughters the Harkonnen and the Imperial soldiers who were guarding the Baron of Harkonnen and the King. He claims the throne as his and the Empire of Atreides is formed. 

Cast and Crew:

The director of both films is Denis Villeneavue. The screenplay writers in Dune were Jon Spaihts, Eric Roth, and Denis Villeneavue. The screenplay writers in the second movie were Denis Villeneavue and Jon Spaihts. The cinematography is directed by Greig Fraser. The music is done by Hans Zimmer. It is edited by Joe Walker.

Paul Atreidies is played by Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya plays Chani, and Dave Bautista as Glossu Rabban Harkonnen. Jason Momoa is seen in the first film playing the role of Duncan Idaho. Rebecca Furguson as Lady Jessica, Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides (Paul’s father), Stilgar is played by Javier Bardem, and Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck.

Movie Performances/Statistics:

Released on October 22nd, 2021 Dune: Part One (PG-13) received a 83% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The film’s budget was set at $165 million and the worldwide box office gross is around $435 million. The runtime for this film is 2 hours and 17 minutes. It is available on Fandango, Prime Video, Hulu, Max, and Apple TV. 

Dune: Part Two (PG-13) was released on March 1st. The film received 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The budget was estimated at $190 million. The film’s worldwide box office gross is around $704 million. The runtime is 2 hours and 46 minutes. It is available in theaters and on Fandango, Prime Video, and Apple TV.