The Edge

The Student News Site of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School

The Edge

The Edge

Will Season 2 of Percy Jackson measure up?

After disappointing movies, fans enjoyed the first season of the Disney+ show

The first season of Percy Jackson and the Olympians released its last episode in January, and season two is already in the making. 

Many people have read the books, and when the movies came out, they were very disappointed. The reviews were poor, and even the author, Rick Riordan, didn’t like them. So, when the new series came out, some people were skeptical about it. They were already hyped up about the movies only to find out that they were awful. But to people’s surprise, this new tv show was exceptional. 

“It was really good. They picked really good actors, they didn’t really match the way they were described in the book, but otherwise it was really good,” says seventh grader Charleigh Fritz. She is a fan of the books, and she enjoyed the tv show version of them. 

Many people are anticipating season two of Percy Jackson and the Olympians. There are many expectations and hopes. One of many things that the fans want is for the show to be like the book. The movies that were made to adapt the books were not similar to the books at all. The second and last movie they made was on the second book, The Sea of Monsters. One of the problems was the fact that they added scenes from the fifth book into the second movie. People’s expectations are high for this new season. 

“I’m hoping that they’ll do some of the main things, like Grover in the wedding dress and Percy the guinea pig,” says Fritz. “And I’m just looking forward to the new characters.”

There are many mixed opinions about Percy Jackson and the Olympians and their new episodes. First, some people do not like the actors that Disney chose to play the main characters.Some believe it wasn’t fully accurate, and that the directors could do much better. But, others believed the show was very similar to the book, and they don’t care about the characters not looking like how they were described. 

“I really liked that they included Rick Riordan in the planning. He helped make the show to make sure that it was at least somewhat accurate unlike the movies,” says eight grader Madi Ayala. “And I disliked that even though he was part of the process it was still slightly wrong.” Madi has read the books and seen the tv show, as well as the movies.