The Edge

The Student News Site of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School

The Edge

The Edge

Duolingo adds math, music, more

That little green owl is branching out

You may know Duolingo as just a free app which teaches languages to people all over the world, well not anymore.

What’s new?

The Duolingo app has now created a way for people to take math lessons and learn how to play the piano. Both the math and piano lessons start from the basics and build up in difficulty as you do more lessons. 

Spanish teacher Nadia Al-Shihabi has heard of the new additions and thinks they are good ideas. “Any sort of app that provides repetition and practice is helpful when learning new types of skills.”

Music on Duolingo

Throughout this music course you will learn the names of the different notes on a piano. As well as how to; play familiar songs, read music from a sheet and recognize notes you hear. Now you can learn how to play the piano the easy way. 

Eighth grader Gabby Strzyz uses the new music addition to learn how to play the piano. “Duolingo makes learning the piano a lot simpler than any other app. It helps me learn how to do everything in an unstressful way,” said Strzyz. “The new subjects are great additions to duolingo. It helped to evolve the app to something greater than it was before, which was an app dedicated to only teaching languages.” 

Math on Duolingo

Duolingo teaches you math in a fun way making you want to come back every time you put your phone down. The lessons start with the basics: addition and subtraction. The more lessons you accomplish, the more challenging the questions will get. There are many ways Duolingo teaches you these concepts including number lines, building blocks and sliders. 

How does it compare to different learning apps?

Other math apps like Khan academy learning and music apps like Music theory pro might be better in their own ways, but they aren’t as fun as duolingo. Even though you can’t choose which math lessons to do on duolingo, while you can on Khan academy, it gives you a refresher of basic math lessons. Both Duolingo and music theory pro teach only the piano. Though you do have to pay for music theory pro while Duolingo is free and teaches you the same things. 

How does it keep you wanting to learn?

Duolingo keeps track of your streak, which you do not want to lose. You are reminded to keep doing lessons because Duolingo sends out messages when you are about to lose your streak. If you are having a lazy day and don’t want to spend a long time on math or playing the piano you’re lucky because the lessons are fast. Duolingo also gives you widgets for your homescreen. The more lessons you complete the better the widgets, making you want to do lessons a lot. 

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Edge

Your donation will support the student journalists of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.