The Edge

The Student News Site of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School

The Edge

The Edge

Edgewood Named 2023 Blue Ribbon School

EJSHS Earned Blue Ribbon Honors in 2008 and 2017

Viera, FL – Brevard Public Schools is celebrating the announcement that Edgewood Jr./Sr. High School has been recognized today as a National Blue Ribbon School for 2023 by the U.S. Department of Education.

The recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student groups on assessments.

“We join the U.S. Department of Education in recognizing Edgewood as one of the premier schools in the nation,” said BPS Superintendent Dr. Mark Rendell. “The selection of Edgewood as a Blue Ribbon School is certainly an honor, but it is not a surprise. Edgewood has been a high-performing school for many years. That performance is the result of the hard work and dedication of the students and staff and the support and guidance of the parents and entire school community.”

This is the third time Edgewood has been named a National Blue Ribbon School; the school was also a National Blue Ribbon School in 2017 and 2008. The designation lasts for five years.

“It is such an honor to work with an amazing school community. Our students, faculty, staff, parents, families, and community members collectively work to seek excellence in who we are and all that we do,” said Principal Jacqueline Ingratta. “I am inspired by our phenomenal students, our awesome staff, and the tremendous support of our parents and families.”

National Blue Ribbon Schools serve as models of effective and innovative school practices for state and district educators and other schools throughout the nation. The U.S. Department of Education recognizes all schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, subgroup student scores and graduation rates:

• Exemplary High-Performing Schools are among their state’s highest-performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
  • Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students. Nominated schools also complete an extensive narrative application describing their school culture and philosophy, curriculum, assessments, instructional practices, professional development, leadership structures, and parent and community involvement.

Edgewood High was nominated and selected as an Exemplary High-Performing School.

“We celebrate with the Edgewood school community. There are few things that can compare to being named a National Blue Ribbon School,” said School Board Chairman Matt Susin. “We are immensely proud of the staff, students, and families that make Edgewood a high-performing school.”

The U.S. Department of Education today recognized 353 schools for 2023. The first National Blue Ribbon Schools were recognized in 1983.

U.S. Department of Education Site: https://nationalblueribbonschools.ed.gov/

Edgewood High’s Application: https://tinyurl.com/y8ktys96