River Road: Come for the Coffee, Stay for the Atmosphere

A return to Brevard’s best place for coffee and popsicles

If you’re seeking a local place to beat the heat and get your daily dose of caffeine, look no further than River Road Coffee and Popsicles. Serving up all kinds of fun flavors, they have been catering to locals since 2019.

Located on Rosa L Jones Drive in Historic Cocoa Village, River Road sells a variety of coffees, teas, lemonades, and popsicles. The shop’s owner, Elizabeth Liuzzo, was motivated to start River Road after falling in love with the coffee shop scene in college.

“I saw the lack of a good ‘local coffee shop’ in our area, and I dreamed of the day I could bring that to Brevard,” said Liuzzo, “I didn’t actually think that would ever be a reality until after working in the coffee industry for a year; I went out on a limb and decided to open my own coffee shop.”

River Road has a vast collection of different drink and popsicle flavors to pick from. Their collection of popsicles include fruit, cream, combo, and specialty popsicles, and there are plenty of different options daily, giving you the opportunity to try something new. There are many drinks that stay on the menu year round, and there are also unique seasonal drink menu items. The most popular year-round item is the Honey Bee Latte, a latte with honey, cinnamon, and vanilla.

“I come up with our menu flavors through travels, my personal taste, staff suggestions, and seeing ideas on social media,” said Liuzzo. 

Another one of River Road’s many charms is its connection to the community of local artists. About every three months, they feature new artists’ works in the shop. Among these featured artists is Edgewood’s own, Ms. Marisa Flint, who has had work at River Road twice now. She discovered the shop through a former student having their own art displayed there. When there are spots open for new art, anyone can submit their pieces for a chance to be selected. For artists, River Road offers a great opportunity to get their work out there.

One of Ms. Flint’s art pieces
Marisa Flint

“They make art more accessible. You may never go to an art gallery, but you go to get coffee there and you get that exposure,” said Flint.

An important part of what makes this place so beloved is the energy in the shop. There’s plenty of room for people to sit, but still a small enough space that it feels cozy and personal (and the incredibly comfortable chairs definitely help). Many enjoy being able to relax and work quietly, read, or play board games there, while also being able to admire the decor and even shop around for the displayed art. Many Edgewood students, like sophomore Maddie Trespalacios, also love stopping by.

“I love the atmosphere, it’s amazing. I like how they have games you can play, things you can read, and I like how it’s all beautifully decorated…even the things that are being sold are placed meticulously, in a way,” said Trespalacios.

When it comes to prices, most menu drinks and popsicles range from three to six dollars, but customized drinks can be a little more pricey. They also offer customer loyalty programs like punch cards for free coffee and popsicles after a certain number of purchases. Additionally, they have a popsicle happy hour going  from 3pm-6pm on weekdays, a great window for a cool, inexpensive treat after school in Florida’s hotter months. 

“Our loyalty program has been around since the beginning, and it’s a way we can ‘give back’ to our customers who support us…We love it when a customer earns a free drink or pop because that means they’ve supported us multiple times and keep coming back – making them a loyal customer,” said Liuzzo.

Since The Edge’s first piece on River Road covering its opening in 2019, a lot has changed. They recently celebrated their four year anniversary, have shirts and hoodies for sale, and collaborate with lots of other local businesses for community events, and they even sell food items from nearby small businesses to support each other. The latest news from River Road is their fall menu debut and return of beloved signature drinks that many people anticipate all year.

“I’m really looking forward to their Autumn Spice latte,” said Flint.

With so many unique and exciting flavors and an unmatched atmosphere, River Road stands out amongst the many corporate coffee shops of our time. They breathe life into the community through their local events, partnerships, and their cozy, social feel. 

“Our entire goal at River Road Coffee and Popsicles is to build community using coffee and popsicles. We want everyone to find their space in our shop and also be brave enough to try something new,” said Liuzzo.

I found out about River Road’s coffee through another Cocoa Village small business, and I’ve been going for a year now. My favorite and recommended items are their Honey Bee and Bear Claw lattes, and I also enjoy their coffee cheesecake, cookies and cream, and dulce de leche popsicles. This is a great space with a kind staff, incredible atmosphere, and great food and drinks. When it comes to local coffee, you can’t go wrong with River Road!

Which of these drinks would you like to try?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Edge

Your donation will support the student journalists of Edgewood Jr/Sr High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.