Edgewood’s Dance Team Wins State Championship

Pom+Performance

Pom Performance

Alicia Gleacher, Staff Writer

Edgewood’s varsity competition dance team has won the title of 2022-2023 State Champions in the Florida State Championship.

“This year’s season has easily been the most successful. We’ve been awarded as the state champions and placed in almost every routine at every competition. Pretty good stuff!” said Odie Johnson, 12.

They were also the High Score Winners, Regional Champions, Platinum Winners, and placed top three in several other categories. The dance team has been on a winning streak for weeks since their December competition.

“I am so incredibly proud of how well we have done so far this competition season. We have continued to push and work harder and harder after each competition. Even after winning regional and state championships, everyone as a whole has continued to train even harder to step out of our comfort zones and push the difficulty of our routines,” stated Megan Nguyen, 12.

Senior Quartet

The varsity team will be going to nationals in Orlando from April 28 to April 30. They will perform on the 29th and will have finals night on the 30th.

“I’m very excited for nationals. It’s a whole weekend of classes, exhaustion, dancing yourself into the ground, and it’s everything I look forward to in the year,” said Johnson.

The senior quartet, Chloe Neuhart, Megan Nguyen, Odie Johnson, and Ash Celano, won first place and received the Super Sweepstakes award. The varsity teams, Pom and Hip Hop, won second and third place, respectively. Most of the senior dancers have been on the team sine middle school, so they have strong bond with each other.

“My favorite part of being on the dance team is easily the bond we have. Being on a team like this almost forces you to be friends with one another. I’ll probably take these relationship’s to the grave,” stated Johnson.

The team has had a long season of Platinum and High Gold trophies. The whole dance team has been working hard all year, and most of the varsity members have been on the team for years.

Hip Hop Performance

“I love how supportive and caring the team is. Whether it’s practice, team bonding, or competition, there is always constant unity and love for all the dancers,” stated Nguyen.

The junior varsity competition team won Regional Championships for a second time in a row. The team has been highlighting members on their JV team and creating profiles for each of the members, giving everyone a chance to shine. Edgewood is incredibly proud of the dance team’s accomplishments and team work. We are excited to see what they do next year.

“No matter what happens, nationals will be an amazing way to say goodbye to the season, as well as my high school dance career… For the dancers next year, I encourage you all to work hard and push yourselves but to still have fun. Your time on the team will flash by quickly, make sure you’re still taking time to make memories and bonds with your team members. Just breathe and take things one step at a time when it gets difficult. Wishing you all the best season next year!” stated Nguyen.

Learn more about the dance team through their Instagram, @edgewood.dance

Varsity Team Performance